As an expert in sheet metal working, we are able to apply all established stainless steel cutting methods in-house. The method that is used in each individual case depends on numerous factors. Particular attention needs to be paid to the intended purpose of the stainless steel. Our headquarters in Netphen-Deuz (Siegen-Wittgenstein district) are home to a powerful water-jet cutting machine. Our cutting-edge water-jet cutting machine produces precision stainless steel cuts.
What is water-jet cutting?
Water-jet cutting of stainless steel is a manufacturing technique in which we already have decades of experience. Over the course of time, the technology has been continuously refined. By adding fine-grained garnet sand, it is possible to perform precise cuts even with large sheet thicknesses.
We have actively accompanied the development of water-jet cutting over a long period of time with our own water-jet cutting systems. We are open to new technologies and integrate them into our production process after successful trials. Even today, our own machinery includes three powerful water-jet cutting systems with three cutting bridges and a total of six cutting heads.
How does an abrasive water-jet cutting machine work?
In simple terms, the abrasive water-jet cutting process involves the use of sand and water. The cutting capacity of our water-jet cutting machine is achieved through the specific combination of a concentrated high-pressure water jet of 4,000 bar and the abrasive impact of a fine-grained abrasive medium. Abrasive water-jet cutting of stainless steel produces high-precision cuts for maximum sizes of up to 12.000 x 4.000 x 150 millimetres. The key features of the water-jet cutting of stainless steel are:
- High degree of accuracy to tenths of a millimetre
- Impressive quality of the cuts
- Low surface roughness
- Little or no need for post-processing
- No structural changes due to heat application
The abrasive effect of the water-jet cutting of stainless steel enables burr-free cutting and also forms the basis for the production of stainless steel components with the narrowest tolerance limits. Short process and throughput times make water-jet cutting technology ideal for machining larger lot sizes. At the same time, our water-jet cutting machine is efficient enough to produce small series cost-effectively. Another benefit of water-jet cutting is that the machining of stainless steel parts does not result in any significant heat development in the part. This means that there is no need to fear a negative influence with regard to further processing or the subsequent characteristics of the stainless steel when using the water-jet cutting technology.
What are the of benefits abrasive water-jet cutting?
The abrasive water-jet cutting process that we use is an established method for the gentle and precise machining of stainless steels. The combination of high water pressure and the grinding effect of the fine-grain garnet sand means that abrasive water-jet cutting has many benefits:
- Abrasive water-jet cutting allows precise cuts with the narrowest tolerance limits to tenths of a millimetre to be achieved when machining stainless steel. This makes abrasive water-jet cutting ideal for high-precision cuts.
- Our modern water-jet cutting machines ensure an impressive cutting quality with a low surface roughness.
- Abrasive water-jet cutting requires only a small amount of past-processing, if any, on the machine part. With abrasive water-jet cutting, deburring takes place during the cutting process.
- Abrasive water-jet cutting transfers almost no heat to the part. This means that even hardened steels are protected during machining.
- There are absolutely no structural changes on the part's cutting edges when using abrasive water-jet cutting.